Sunday

A Day In Music: July Aught-Eight



It can be tough to shake off the sleep. Curtains keeping out the sunlight, the record from last night still running on repeat, the fan above keeping heat at bay, it'd be all too easy to just roll over and hit the snooze button... Shame there's things to do. Slowly get upright and moving, find a good disc to throw on and jumpstart the system, and head for the door.



Mid-day once I get outside. Summer at its peak. Grab some iced coffee, run around, try to stay in the shade, and the world is about nothing more than guitars and girls and being eighteen.



Then the afternoon fades away and evening begins. The sun sets, activity slows for a minute, and a little ska serves as defense against the oppressive humidity; keeping moving through drinks and crowded sidewalks and parties and endless distractions.



And then it's much later, with friends on a crowded dancefloor, DJs spin classic 60s funky jazz and soul, the girls are lovely and everyone's smiling and moving to the groove. Another gin & tonic, and man I'm glad I decided to wear these shoes tonight.



Finally worn out, walking home, bits of songs floating from cars and open windows, mixing with conversations and random noise and a dog barking and sirens passing by. The sounds of city drift past, my feet keep the beat, and I get to my door and head upstairs to clean up and check email and get a few scant hours of rest before it's time to leave for work.



And of course, I make sure there's something playing softly as I fall asleep.


-PAR

1 comment:

DJ Hummingbird Feeder said...

I played that rocksteady comp last time you were at my house and you made fun of me. you poser!